Been busy buidling

Published on Jan 17, 2022

Turns out finding soy bean hulls to make substrate with is incredibly difficult in South Africa. Every place I found online only sells in extremely large quantities, like truck-loads, so that is out of the question for me.

I am almost finished with the grow room tent thing, which admittedly took me longer than it should have. It is a bit flimsy and not as neat as I wanted it to be, but for my first DIY project, it's not too shabby!

What is missing now is the humidifying system, since I am still waiting for the company I ordered it from to ship it. They're taking their sweet time and I am having a difficult time communicating with them. I should have just ordered something on Amazon.

I've decided to grow oysters in plastic buckets and had a bunch of old unused ones with lids laying around, so I bought a 20mm hole saw drill bit and made holes in them. I also built a drying rack out of an old shipping pallet and some plastic mesh stuff I bought at the hardware store.

These hole drill bits are inexpensive and easy to use. Any hardware store should stock them.

Next up is filling the buckets with pasteurised straw and the grey oyster grain spawn I made.